Monday, February 11, 2013

My First Program


I got so excited with what I've been doing in Unity that I totally forgot to talk about my first ever program!

I may have mentioned this earlier but I'm taking my first programming class in college at the same time I'm trying to teach myself C#. I'm learning C++ in my class, so I just hope I don't mess up in tests and what not. So far there hasn't been much of a problem. Half the reason I started teaching myself is because I got tired of how slow the class was going.

Anyways, I thought I would take a screen shot of the first program I ever wrote. This is what made me fall in love with programming.











I know, right?! Not even anything! haha. It doesn't do anything, and it took me forever to figure out how to print that information on screen without the program immediately exiting... ugh...

For those who speak C++... all it is is a bunch of cout's. I think it was to make sure we understand that concept, but it also taught us about the \t and \" and \n modifiers that we can use to manipulate the text. Adding \t inside the text tabs the text forward. Which is how all the text lines up into columns. Took me a while to make it look exactly right.

While that is not really anything a programmer can really be proud of, and to be honest it's some pretty monotonous programming... but I loved every minute of it! I was fascinated. I was on the couch on my laptop watching a football game, but I wouldn't have been able to tell you anything that was going on in that game cause I was so absorbed by that program.

There's been a few other programs I've had to make for my computer science class as well. I'll talk about those later.

By the way... I think part of the reason I'm enjoying this class so much more than any class I've taken is because the assignments are projects where you DO something... it's not just quizzes and regurgitating what I read onto a piece of paper haha pretty fun stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment