Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Blender...

So my initial research on programming and what not led me to a program called "Corona." I thought "Hey, I'm just here to make an app, right?!" But I don't just want to make apps! I want to do tons of stuff. I want to be a programmer not an app-maker. Anyways I went against that. I wanted something more widely used so that I could get tutorials and help. I also didn't want to be limited in what I could do.

So my research led me to Unity. Unity seems like an amazing product! Apparently most "Game Engines" sell for... a lot. This is free! Yeah, you can pay and get an upgraded version, but we'll cross that bridge if we ever come to it.

Then I thought "Hey! Why not make this game right... in full 3D!" Probably one of the dumbest things I've ever thought haha. Not that that wouldn't be AWESOME. But think of the work involved...

Anyways I downloaded Blender. Another Unity-like free program for 3D design. I paid for a subscription to CG Cookie. They have Unity and Blender tutorials and help. Keep in mind that's the first thing I payed for.

So I opened up a tutorial called "Intro to Character Modeling." I downloaded the source files and started designing "Kara" (the tutorial is here).

Now... Kara and I have a complicated relationship... haha. It started off great while I was doing very basic shaping (don't get me wrong it took FOREVER), but then I got to the head. I think what happened is that I had set up a mirror and made a plane for her nose. I guess I missed the step where you have to delete extra vertices, so one thing led to another and I think I have duplicate vertices for that part of her face. So every time I try to fill in the space between a couple points, they go to the vertex on the OTHER side of her skull. HA! I'll try to include pictures.

Anyways I got tired of trying to fix it... So Kara may well be forever unfinished... Poor girl.




I'll finish her eventually... I just got ancy to get into coding. I think that's what I'm most excited for. But don't let me get you down! That was a GREAT tutorial, you should do it if you want to learn more about blender or 3D design. I need to finish it cause it gets into particles and rigging/animation.

Jeez now that I look at it she's got some weird lips...



No comments:

Post a Comment